Monday, March 31, 2014

Indo Vacay Part 2- Bandung

Hello lovely readers! Okay, the title says it all.

DAY 3- Bandung

We touched down at the Bandung Airport after more or less an hour of flight from Bali. The weather was not very good, I couldn't see anything through the window, but alhamdulillah we arrived safely. The airport was really small and we had to walk all the way from the plane's parking space to the airport building. We were told that the real airport was under renovation, so that explains it all.

We got onto our bus, running as we go because it was raining outside. Our tour bus was the easiest to spot from a distance because it was purple haha. We were then greeted by Mas Rendra, 31, our tour guide in Bandung :D He was this cheerful and humorous guy from Saffira Tour Company. After only a few minutes in the bus, all of us couldn't stop smiling and laughing at some adult jokes before they realize there's a few under age teens in the bus. To which they laugh even more. I did too, laughed a lot to the way he laughs :P

We were stuck in traffic or what they call "macet", so he told us some history of Bandung, about the houses we cross-by, the people there having flawless fair skin (no doubt!) because they practice herbal medicine (jamu) and the time zone being 1 hour behind Malaysian time. 

Then, we arrived at the Factory Outlet store to shop. We were tired and hungry so we didn't shop so much there. After an hour of waiting for the others, we hopped onto the bus once again and head to Sangkuriang restaurant for dinner. The food was nice, one aunty even bought the bekas nasi that they use there! And her husband joked about buying the whole restaurant itself :P Last destination of the day was our hotel The Promenade in Cihampelas. And while every other families were sleeping, we had some problems with our room and luckily managed to be transferred to a large an comfy family room at around 9 pm Bandung time.

 Restoran Sangkuriang

Our hotel room @ The Promenade.


We were awoken by the morning call at 4.50 am for Solat Subuh and we got ready for breakfast downstairs. Not a big fan of the breakfast because the choices were very limited, but its edible. 8.30 am, we got into the bus and headed to the famous Gunung Berapi Tangkuban Parahu which was 30 kilometers away. Our our way, Rendra told us the story behind the name of the volcano. Tangkuban in Indonesia means tangkup/terbalik whereas Parahu is perahu lah.

The legend has it that once upon a time, there was this princess who was banished from the kingdom to the deep forest by the king. Dayang Sumbi was in the forest with a guardian dog, Umang, who was actually a man cursed into a dog. After a long time in the forest, Dayang Sumbi gives birth to their son named Sangkuriang. He did not know who his real father is, thus one day, when her mother told him to find a deer's heart for them to eat. Sangkuriang did not want to let his mother down, he killed Umang and bring back his heart to her mother.

Her mother was enraged and chased him out. Around 10 years later, they met and fell in love without knowing that the women was his mother due to her timeless beauty by practicing jamu. Dayang Sumbi recognized her son and wanted to reject his proposal of marrying her. She told him to make the biggest perahu connecting 2 mountains (not so sure), in just one night. Sangkuriang called out all the spirits and devils to help him finish the perahu that night. Dayang Sumbi then made the signs of morning approaching which led the spirits to disappear.

Upon his failure to finish the perahu, he was rejected by Dayang Sumbi. He was so angry that he kick the perahu and perahu tu pun tertangkup dan terbentuklah GUNUNG TANGKUBAN PARAHU. The still-active volcano was a symbol of his everlasting anger. Once we arrived there, it was super misty and cold we could barely see anything ahead. We took lots of pictures there, the sight is beautiful! But the smell of sulfur from the volcano, bluerghhh. It was as if Sangkuriang fart all over it :P

Here are some pictures!

 Group photo of almost all of us :D

 Me with the scenery of the Kawah Gunung Berapi. My eyes (contact lenses) hurts so bad! #ashes

 The boiling kawah.

 Aina and Mora :D #ootd 4th day.
Notice how misty and cold it is up there?

 Pony rides along the way! Scary, ponies, ponies everywhere!

 They sell these cute beanies!
The weather got clearer later on.

The one and only, Rendra. Our tour guide :)

After that, we were brought straight to the Floating Market of Lembang! It was beautiful :D So the idea is they sell Bandung traditional food and drinks on their small boats. We have to change our Rupiah money into tokens to buy it. At the side, they provided wooden tables and chairs for us to eat. My mum bought some goreng pisang cheese (really famous in Indonesia) and jumbo vege and egg curry puffs and I bought myself a cendol. It was the most scrumptious cendol ever!Tiny bits of cendol but super soft, original gula merah and finely shredded ice.
Thats what I call a perfect cendol, ladies and gentleman.

Then we also dropped by a gudang tekstil (taktau nama),it was literally someone's house made into a gudang where kain2 baju was all over the floor. Haaa hambikk, duduk bersila pilih. Me, being my non-shopaholic self, decided to sit outside and have a Sirsak Es Lilin while making friends with a fellow Malaysian family there. In case you're wondering what on earth is Sirsak Es Lilin, it is simply a Durian Belanda Ais Potong. Hahaha, uuu fancy.

Afterwards, we had lunch at another padang restaurant and perform prayers there as well. The bus brought drove us to Grutty Mall to shop for shoes, bags, pants, shirts, dresses, EVERYTHING. When we came across the sight of the mall, the makcik2 and opah2 on the bus cheered loudly and clapped their hands. Shopping time!
I didn't buy anything there because I'm not a big fan of shopping. To me it's tiring, having to choose and browse through items after items. Plus, I don't need anything at the moment. So Y BOTHER? Haha :P At around 7pm (which dah masuk waktu Isyak, believe it or not), we went to have seafood dinner at PRAOE. By then, I could not bare to eat any more rice. That's all we've been eating since day 1 in Indonesia. Fortunate for me, they serve a plate of IndoMee and the opahs made me finish the whole plate. Yummmm!

Back to the hotel to freshen up and rest. Penat woo!

Floating Market!
These are the boats I mentioned earlier. They sell various traditional snacks and kuih.

Mushola pun floating youalls, kelasss.

My mum while waiting for her food!

Tadaaa! The pisang sooo big. This tastes better than it looks (Y)

Entry Ticket which we can claim with it a free hot drink, got myself Cafe Latte.

The three of us. I don't see any resembles.

 Gudang kain.

 Grutty Mall. Dah macam Legoland.

Dinner @ PRAOE. Ada Bumbu Sotong, Bumbu Udang, Ikan Bakar, Sayur Taugeh, Ulam-ulaman and sambal, but still IndoMee was my fav.

Day 5 and Day 6, to be continued.